Are you planning to legalize your status in the United States? Do you want to become a tax paying resident of the country? Even though you will not be able to apply for citizenship just yet, you will be able to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). In order to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, you will have to fill out the Form W-7. When filling out the W-7 Form, you have to make sure you are filling it correctly.

If you fill the Form W-7 incorrectly, you will have to do it all over again. Hence, use this as a guide for filling out the W-7 Form. Read and comprehend the following most common mistakes made by people applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number:

Mistake #1: Only One Family Member Applies for ITIN Number

Every member of the family should apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. In doing so, all of them will be able to claim exemptions on taxes. If you are married and have children, you need obtain separate W-7 Forms for each.

Mistake #2: Submitting Copies of Original Documents

You should only submit original documents and not apostilled or notarized copies of documents such as certified copies, passports, and birth certificates. Hand in your original documents along with the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number form.

Mistake #3: Leaving Blank Spaces

Every section of the Form W-7 needs to be filled out. You cannot leave any blank spaces because if you do, it will not be accepted. If there is a section that you do not have any information for, write N/A, which stands for ‘Not Applicable’.

Mistake #4: Writing the Date before the Month

On the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number form, the month comes before the date. Make sure that you are writing the month first followed by the date and year.

Mistake #5: Stating Citizenship of One Country

People who have dual citizenship of two countries should state both citizenships on the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number form. If you have dual citizenship, insert a slash between the two. Do not use abbreviations when stating the names of the country either. In addition, you can only list two countries.

Mistake #6: Not Signing the Form of Children under the Age of 14

People who have children under the age of 14 will need to sign the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, as they will act as guardians or parents on their behalf. Under the section “Name the delegate,” you will need to state your name, sign, and state the relationship you have with the child, which will go on the right side. Anyone above the age of 14 will have to sign the form.

Mistake #7: Submitting More Than One Proof of Your Foreign Identity

You do not need to provide the authorities with more than one proof of your foreign identity, as handing in your original passport picture is all the proof they need.

If you need help filling out the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number form, you can consult firms that will take you through the process, making sure every section of the Form W-7 is correctly filled out.

If you want to apply for an, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN tax number and have any other questions, please feel free to contact us at 888-509-3616. If you have any suggestions please share those with us as well. Freedomtax ITIN Number has a professional team of IRS Certifying Acceptance Agents, and tax accounting professionals with more than 16 years of experience, helping immigrants with their ITIN application. Freedomtax can also help immigrant entrepreneurs incorporate a business in the USA. Freedomtax ITIN Tax Number Online services provides Quality, Professional Service with a Family Feel.

Was this post useful?


Post comment