Internal Revenue Service issues individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN number, to both resident and nonresident aliens in the United States. IRS collects tax returns and also interprets and enforces Internal Revenue Code for better consistency with ITIN number tax returns.
Quick ITIN Number Facts
- ITIN Number is a nine digit number.
- ITIN Number is used for federal tax purpose only.
- Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN Number, unless they meet an exception.
- ITIN does not give you all the tax benefits that U.S. citizens and other taxpayers can receive.
- An ITIN number does not provide work authorization.
- An ITIN number does not provide legal immigration status.
- An individual cannot have an ITIN as well as a SSN.
- W-7 form has to be filled along with the complete tax return.
- Original proof of identity, foreign status and certified copies by the issuing agency are also required.
- ITIN application cannot be filed electronically.
- Individuals in U.S can call on a toll number (1-800-829-1040) for help.
- A meeting can also be set in-person if further assistance is required.
- It takes duration of 4-6 weeks for the ITIN to be issued.
What is a CAA – Certifying Acceptance Agent?
Certified Acceptance Agent is an individual or organization or a business authorized by IRS that provides assistance to people within the United States for ITIN number application process. The fee they charge depends upon the level of expertise and services they provide. Individuals who are new in this area sometimes charge a very small amount.
What will your ITIN number agent do for you?
Your agent will do an in-depth screening of all your relevant documents that are required to file for an ITIN number. If there’s anything missing or if there’s an issue with your tax return, CAA will discuss it with you and will try to make it correct. Because your agent is there to get you your ITIN number, he/she will make sure everything’s in the right order.
The most important task of a CAA is to complete an accuracy certificate for you. Simply put, CAA will give IRS assurance that yes everything is okay and good to go. Because CAA is authorized by IRS itself, there’s less chance of errors and omissions.
Last but not the least, CAA will forward your application along with the certificate to the IRS. The whole process takes about 4 to 6 weeks. You can always make a call on toll free number and ask for the status of your application process.
Why CAA – Certifying Acceptance Agent?
Hiring a CAA is not entirely necessary. If you need help you can just pick up your phone and ask. A meeting can also be arranged by the IRS. But of course if you’re meticulous and want perfection or the nature of your work keeps you super engaged, then CAA is your golden ticket. Your agent will walk you through and all you have to do is bring cash.
Bringing cash doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pay attention towards your application process. You should be vigilant and realize that at the end of the day it’s your ITIN number. It’s always wise to know a little about everything.
If you want to apply for an ITIN tax number and have any other questions, please feel free to contact us at 888-509-3616. If you have any suggestions please share those with us as well. Freedomtax ITIN Number has a professional team of IRS Certifying Acceptance Agents, and tax accounting professionals with more than 16 years of experience, helping immigrants with their ITIN application. Freedomtax can also help immigrant entrepreneurs incorporate a business in the USA. Freedomtax ITIN Tax Number Online services provides Quality, Professional Service with a Family Feel.