For the administration of US tax laws, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides the US resident and non-resident aliens with a particular tax identification number (TIN). This tax identity is either assigned by the Social Security Administration (SSA) or by the IRS itself. SSA is responsible to issue social security numbers while all other TINs are issued by IRS.

Various forms of tax identification numbers are:

  • Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  • Preparer Taxpayer Identification Number (PTIN)
  • Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN)

When Do You Need One?

You need to furnish your tax identity on federal income tax returns, tax statements or other tax-related documents. This means you must have a tax identification number to file your tax returns and to claim treaty benefits. In addition, a TIN must be there on a withholding certificate if you are going to claim an exemption for effectively linked revenue or for certain allowances.

If you are claiming an exemption for your dependents or spouse, you also need to put their social security number on the income tax return. But if your dependent or spouse is not eligible to get a SSN, then you must mention the ITIN in place of SSN.

How Can You Get One?

Social Security Number (SSN)

Social Security number is issued to US citizens only. Its purpose is to assist them in filing their income tax returns. If you are eligible to get a SSN then you must apply for it by completing Form SS-5, an application for a Social Security Card. The application asks you to attach a few documents as evidence of your identity, age, and US citizenship or your legal status in USA. Form SS-5 is available online or you can get it by visiting the nearest Social Security office.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

EIN is also referred to as Federal Tax Identification Number normally given to business entities for tax purposes. Estates and Trusts whose income has to be reported on Form 1041, US Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts, also use EIN to comply with US tax laws.

An online ‘Internet EIN’ application is available for you to apply and obtain EIN, if you need to have one. This online application procedure is valid for all the entities whose main business, agency or office lies within the US territory.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

An ITIN is a number used for tax processing and is only issued to certain non-resident and resident aliens, their dependents and spouses. You will be eligible for an individual taxpayer identification number only if you are not able to get a social security number.

You need to complete IRS Form W-7, an application for an individual taxpayer identification number, and attach it to a valid US tax return. An ITIN application also requires you to attachment either original or copy of your passport certified by issuing agency to verify your true identity.

Aside from these numbers, PTIN is required by the tax return preparers to use on federal tax returns or refund claims submitted to IRS. ATIN is a temporary tax identity issued to a person who has adopted a child and failed to obtain child’s social security number. You can apply for both the PTIN and ATIN by visiting the IRS office.

If you want to apply for an, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN tax number and have any other questions, please feel free to contact us at 888-509-3616. If you have any suggestions please share those with us as well. Freedomtax ITIN Number has a professional team of IRS Certifying Acceptance Agents, and tax accounting professionals with more than 16 years of experience, helping immigrants with their ITIN application. Freedomtax can also help immigrant entrepreneurs incorporate a business in the USA. Freedomtax ITIN Tax Number Online services provides Quality, Professional Service with a Family Feel.

Was this post useful?


Post comment