Are you currently working in the United States, but are not eligible to obtain a Social Security number? If you are not eligible for a social security number, then you should consider obtaining an individual tax identification number (ITIN). If you are a citizen, resident, visitor, student, or a professor and you have an income, then despite your current legal status, you have to file for income taxes under the Internal Revenue Code. However, for immigrants, obtaining ITIN serves beneficial in several ways.
Who is Eligible for individual tax identification number (ITIN)?
- A resident alien depending on how many days they spend in the United States are required to file for a U.S. tax return.
- A non-resident alien living in the United States is required to file for a tax return.
- The husband or wife of either a United States citizen or a resident alien is also eligible to file for a tax return.
- The husband or wife of a non-resident alien who holds a visa is also qualified to file for a tax return.
By registering for an individual tax identification number, they are complying with the United States federal tax laws and in return, they receive certain benefits.
Benefits of Obtaining an ITIN
Individuals residing in the United States can benefit from acquiring these services:
- The ITIN is your identification number that was established to serve the purpose for collecting and keeping track of tax returns from everyone employed in the United States.
- If you qualify for the ITIN, then you would be eligible for receiving a refund from your income withheld by the IRS.
- Moreover, you will be able to file your taxes and at the same time can claim money on the dependents you support in Mexico, the US, or Canada.
- An ITIN even makes you eligible to apply for a mortgage loan, lines of credit, open a bank account, or open an income-bearing account.
- In addition, there are some states in United States that have let people with an ITIN obtain a state identification card, driving permit, and a driving license.
- A foreign student who has arrived in the United States to study by obtaining a fellowship, grant, scholarship, and stipend is eligible to file for ITIN.
Applying for an individual tax identification number is quite easy and doesn’t require you to be present in person, but can be done through an online form (W-7) issued by the IRS. Then you have to attach that form to your federal income tax return and to the form attach your proof of identity and your current status in the United States.
Important Documents to Include
You need to attach the following documents to your W-7 form:
- A recent photograph
- Foreign military identification card or U.S. military identification card
- Foreign driver’s license
- Civil birth certificate
- U.S. driver’s license
- U.S. state identification card
- Medical records
- National identification card
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services photo identification
- School records
- Foreign voter’s registration card
You don’t have to have all the above documents, but if you have any of the above mentioned documents then it’s vital that you attach them to your ITIN form and send it to the Internal Revenue Service office.
If you need more information about our accounting and tax services, please contact us at 407-502-2400. Freedomtax Accounting’s staff has been providing honest accounting services and tax services for 15 years. Our Orlando accounting and tax firm has its main offices in Kissimmee, FL. Our services are provided nationwide, but mainly in the Central Florida market to areas like Orlando, South Orlando, Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Poinciana, Clermont, Davenport, Hunters Creek, Lake Nona, and Celebration, FL. Our tax accountants and IRS enrolled agents (irs ea) specialize in corporate accounting and bookkeeping, tax services, tax preparation, back taxes help, tax debt relief, tax resolution, tax planning, itin numbers, incorporations, and non profit 501c3 tax exempt status applications.