FTAX Blog Do you have to file taxes this year but do not have a Social Security Number or an SSN? This is why you may need the Individual Tax Identification Number or ITIN number. On the other hand, if you have an SSN, you can use that for filing your taxes. The ITIN number is basically required for resident and nonresident aliens.

Here is the process for applying for an ITIN number.

Determine if you are eligible

Evaluate if you require an ITIN number or not. As already mentioned, if you are not eligible for an SSN, but still have to do taxes or provide some other information to the IRS, you will need an ITIN number to file all appropriate documents. Generally, resident aliens and their spouses, nonresident aliens and their spouses, dependants of residents and nonresidents aliens require ITIN number, if they have a visa.

Please note that if you are eligible for an SSN, but just have not received one as yet, you cannot apply for an ITIN number. This will be the case if you are a US citizen or a permanent resident. Before you file your tax return, you must apply for an SSN.

Get the W-7 form

The application for an ITIN number is submitted through the W-7 form. Download this form from the IRS website or by visiting their local office in your area. Make sure you have the latest version of this form with you.

Once you get the form, fill it up. You will have to provide some general information such as your name, date of birth, address, contact numbers and so on. If you are a spouse or a dependant, you will have to provide the ITIN number or SSN of your guardian or spouse. Before you submit the form, make sure you retain a copy with you.

Gather irrelevant documents

When you file the W-7 form, you also have to file a number of supporting documents with that provide proof of your identification and foreign status. Until you do this, your application will not be accepted. For this purpose, the IRS can accept 12 documents. These include your military identification card, passport or your national id card of your home country.

Fill out the tax return

Now is the time to fill out your tax return form, which you will have to submit along with the above forms and documents.  You application will not be approved if you do not submit a return along with it. If you are not qualifying for this, you may be able to submit the W-7 form without the return. This applies only to nonresident aliens who require an ITIN number so they can get a tax treaty benefit. If you have any queries, either go through the IRS website or contact an accountant.

Submit your application

Now collect your W-7 forms, tax returns and identity documents and submit them to the IRs. You may be required to submit originals, but they will be returned to you.

If you need more information about our accounting and tax services, please contact us at 407-502-2400. Freedomtax Accounting’s staff has been providing honest accounting services and tax services for 15 years. Our Orlando accounting and tax firm has its main offices in Kissimmee, FL. Our services are provided nationwide, but mainly in the Central Florida market to areas like Orlando, South Orlando, Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Poinciana, Clermont, Davenport, Hunters Creek, Lake Nona, Celebration, Winter Park, Windermere, Dr. Phillips, Maitland, Altamonte Springs, Winter Garden, Ocoee, Apopka, Belle Isle, Edgewood, and Oakland FL. Our tax accountants and IRS enrolled agents (irs ea) specialize in corporate accounting and bookkeeping, tax services, tax preparation, back taxes help, tax debt relief, tax resolution, tax planning, itin numbers, incorporations, and non profit 501c3 tax exempt.


Was this post useful?


Post comment