Due to a lapse in government appropriations, the IRS is currently closed. Normal operations will resume once a funding measure is enacted into law. Please check the IRS website at IRS.gov for updates. There will be very limited operations during the shutdown.
IRS Operations during “ The Lapse” In Appropriations
- IRS operations are limited.
- However, the underlying tax law remains in effect, and all taxpayers should continue to meet their tax obligations as normal.
- Individuals and businesses should keep filing their tax returns and making deposits with the IRS, as they are required to do so by law. 4.
- The IRS will accept and process all tax returns with payments, but will be unable to issue refunds during this time. Taxpayers are urged to file electronically, because most of these returns will be processed automatically.
- No live telephone customer service assistance will be available, however most automated toll-free telephone applications will remain operational. IRS walk-in taxpayer assistance centers will be closed.
- While the government is closed, people with appointments related to examinations (audits), collection, Appeals or Taxpayer Advocate cases should assume their meetings are cancelled. IRS personnel will reschedule those meetings at a later date.
- Automated IRS notices will continue to be mailed. The IRS will not be working any paper correspondence during this period. Here are some basic steps for taxpayers to follow during this period.
- Tax refunds will not be issued until normal government operations resume.
- How does this affect me?
- You should continue to file and pay taxes as normal. Individuals who requested an extension of time to file should file their returns by Oct. 15, 2013.
- All other tax deadlines remain in effect, including those covering individuals, corporations, partnerships and employers. The regular payroll tax deadlines remain in effect as well.
- You can file your tax return electronically or on paper — although the processing of paper returns will be delayed until full government operations resume. Payments accompanying paper tax returns will still be accepted as the IRS receives them.
What IRS services will be available?
- For taxpayers seeking assistance, only the automated applications on the regular 800-829-1040 telephone line will remain open. The IRS website will be available.
If you need more information about our, Orlando accounting and tax services, please contact us at 407-344-1012. Freedomtax Accounting’s staff has been providing honest accounting services and tax services for 15 years. Our Orlando accounting and tax firm has its main offices in Kissimmee, FL. Our services are provided nationwide, but mainly in the Central Florida market to areas like Orlando, South Orlando, Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Poinciana, and Hunters Creek, FL. Our tax accountants and IRS enrolled agents (irs ea) specialize in corporate accounting and bookkeeping, tax services, tax preparation, back taxes help, tax debt relief, tax resolution, tax planning, itin numbers, incorporations, and non profit 501c3 tax exempt status applications.